Monday, December 16, 2013

Your Tongue Reveals Your Heart, Not Your Intentions

All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.  With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness.  Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.  Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?  My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.  James 3:7-12 NIV

I can’t believe I said that.  I told myself before I left the house today that I was going to do better at watching what I say.  And THAT just came out of my mouth. 

Those thoughts have gone through my mind more times than I can count.  I start my day with the best of intentions, with a desire to say and do the right things and then I get in a situation where my tongue gets out of control.  It happens so quickly sometimes, I’ve always been a blunt person and often times I don’t give my brain enough time to filter what comes out of my mouth.  The words found in James chapter one about being quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, seem far away when I’m caught up in the moment. 

I wish that self-control was the only reason this predicament happens but there is a much deeper root tied to what comes out of my mouth.  Luke 6:45 says, A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”  The core issue is a matter of the heart.  If problems exist on the inside they will come spilling to the surface.  Bitterness, anger, jealousy, selfish ambition, unforgiveness, pride, lust, negativity, criticism, you name it, it will not stay hidden.  I don’t have the power in my own strength to hide those heart problems.  I can’t help but notice in James 3:7-8 the indication that humans have been able to tame all kinds of beasts but never the tongue.  The tongue can only be tamed by my Divine helper, the only One that can transform my heart. 

The unfortunate thing about being a Christian who is failing to control my words is how it affects my credibility to those around me.  My tongue reveals my heart, not my intentions. Many people in this world expect Christians to appear perfect in word and deed, anything less is to be labeled a hypocrite.  That is an unattainable standard that would require perfection.  Besides Jesus there has never been a sinless person that has walked this earth. I often wish that people knew my true intentions the way God does, but all they can see is what is on the outside.  All they hear are the words I immediately feel convicted over saying and wish I could take back. Does this mean I just throw my hands up and not try?  Of course not!  I should always be concerned about the impression I am making and how I am representing Christ to the world.  The bible says I am to work out my own salvation.  I am to continually grow in stature to get closer and closer to the fullness that is IN Christ, so that others may be drawn to Him through my example. 

Brothers and sisters do not become discouraged with this struggle of the heart!  Spiritual warfare is a daily battle, make up your mind to fight it with perseverance.  At no point does scripture say that life is going to be easy with no sacrifices.  Rely on God and His word to continue to transform your heart so that your words become more and more conformed to Christ. Just because you fail at something doesn’t mean you are a failure! Keep trying every day.  Knowing that while other people cannot possibly see what is inside of you, God does, He loves you, and is there to forgive as many times as you need Him to. 


“They gave our Master a crown of thorns. Why do we hope for a crown of roses?”  Martin Luther

1 comment: