Monday, December 9, 2013

An Accidental Tradition

As many of you already know I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior in June of 2005 at the age of twenty three.  In the time that followed my conversion to Christianity I was hungry to find music, films, and books related to my faith.  I quickly found that when it came to music and films the Christian genre was sometimes lacking compared to its secular counterparts.  I ran into some boring clichés along the way.  The films were oftentimes full of faulty angles and bad acting.  But as time passed I really was able to find some diamonds in the rough and I also see that as we progress farther and farther into the 21st century the Christian mediums seem to be catching up as well.  For a girl that loves music and cinema as much as I do I have been a very happy camper lately because of these positive changes.  

One of these diamonds that I found was released at theaters nationwide in 2006.  It is called The Nativity Story.  I remember being so excited to see a Christian film that actually made it to the mainstream movie theaters (in my opinion they are too few and far between).  I was not disappointed when I went to see it.   I was impressed at the details included in the depiction of the everyday life of the Jewish people.  I was thrilled that the makers had stayed true to the biblical account of Christ’s birth found in the gospel of Luke.  They embellished a little on what may or may not have happened between Mary and Joseph but nothing that had me yelling BLASPHEMY, BLASPHEMY!  I loved that they showed the relationship between Mary and Elizabeth (mother of John the Baptist).  If you are looking for a movie that has all kinds of bells and whistles just for entertainment’s sake this may not be for you.  But if you are anything like me and truly value a biblical story that actually follows what the bible says, you will appreciate this film. 


This movie has become an accidental tradition for my Christmas season in the years since it has been released.  I find myself watching it every year in December and I always cry at the end as I watch an illustration of the birth of Christ.  My heart overflows as I take the time to watch a reminder of my Savior’s humble and miraculous beginning.  I meditate on what His birth and death have meant for my own life and how He made it possible for me to have salvation.  If you are looking for a good movie to watch yourself or share with your family this Christmas, check this one out!  Follow along in Luke 1:1 through 2:21 to see the account of Jesus conception and birth. 





Would you like to share any of the traditions your family does for Christmas?  I’d love to hear how you make Christmas special at your house. 


Other Christian movies that I would recommend for their cinematography and a good message are:

Fireproof, Facing the Giants, Courageous, Time Changer, The Gospel, End of the Spear, Amazing Grace, The Passion of the Christ, The Gospel of John, The Apocalypse, Paul the Apostle, Therese, Left Behind series, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, The Chronicles of Narnia (Christian undertones), and One Night with the King (story of Esther, I have a few disagreements with this one but the quality of filming was good)

No comments:

Post a Comment