Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Who Are You Giving Thanks To?

The last week I haven’t felt very inspired when it comes to writing.  Life can get so hectic sometimes.  Often when I do get some down time I just want to sit around in my comfy Aeropostale jogging pants, t-shirt, fuzzy socks, and not think…about anything.  But with the Thanksgiving holiday approaching with all of the Facebook posts about what’s in the oven and what everyone is doing, I guess you could say I got a little writing motivation.  I found myself on dictionary.com looking up what the actual definition of Thanksgiving was, I was curious to look a little deeper.   And I found a list of 4 definitions for the word thanksgiving:

1. The act of giving thanks; grateful acknowledgment of benefits or favors, especially to God.
2. An expression of thanks, especially to God.

3. A public celebration in acknowledgment of divine favor or kindness.

4. A day set apart for giving thanks to God.

It probably won’t be very difficult to guess where I am going with this.  I couldn’t help but notice in all of these descriptions of the word thanksgiving, the mention of God was included in some way.  Honestly when I looked up the word I didn’t know what I would find, but when I did notice this of course my wheels started turning.  I asked myself the question and I will ask you the same thing:  Who are you giving thanks to? 
When you are grateful for your family, your friends, your health, your food, your possessions, your job, your…  Who are you giving thanks to? 

I hope you all have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment