Monday, November 18, 2013

Are You Tired?

As I write this, I am tired, I am spent, and I am so done. But I have to stay awake ALL night. Do you ever feel like you get to a place of exhaustion where your brain just seems to be on cruise control? Some type of auto-pilot? It doesn’t want to be bothered with complicated questions or tasks. Just let it be. Leave it alone.
In those times of exhaustion when I don’t even feel like I have the energy to think…what do I occupy my time with? These drained moments can happen at various times and for various reasons. We have all been TIRED. 

When exhaustion is strong, my discipline is not. I know I tend to be less patient, less discerning, and less on guard for spiritual attacks. I take the easy, no-brainer path. And when I say or do the wrong thing, sinning in any way, I use being tired as an excuse for my behavior. I say, well God, it’s understandable that I said something snappy to that person, I was tired! I slipped up and used coarse language today because I was tired! I let myself be a part of a conversation I had no business chiming in on because I was tired. I ate a slab of lardy-heart-attack-inducing food instead of sticking to my eating plan because I was tired! I am great at making excuses for myself. Do I think God really buys these excuses I’m selling? Is sin ever excusable in the sight of a Holy God? The answer is NO, as much as I hate to acknowledge it.

But another more comforting truth is He gives us ways to overcome exhaustion and not sin, so we don’t have to make excuses for it! I think about the story of Moses in Exodus chapter seventeen when the Israelites were attacked by the Amalekites at Rephidim. Moses told Joshua to take some of the Israelites and go down to fight the Amalekites, while Moses stood on top of the hill with the staff of God in his hands. Aaron and Hur followed Moses up the hill, while Joshua and the other men fought the battle. As long as Moses held the staff up the Israelites were winning the battle, however if his hands grew tired and he lowered the staff the Amalekites began to win. Moses became exhausted so Aaron and Hur actually sat him down on a rock and they each held Moses’ hands up for him till sunset and the Israelites defeated their attackers. The illustration I am trying to make from this story is the Lord has brought godly people into each of our lives to come along side of us and help us when we are weary! Am I using these people to help me when I am exhausted, am I calling on other prayer warriors to help me fight this battle? 

In 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 God’s word says,” Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Am I praying continually? I don’t see any stipulation that says when I am tired then I get a free pass to do whatever my fickle emotions tell me to. Honestly as much as I struggle following through with this I know that prayer should be this believer’s constant companion. 

For the final let’s drive this home point Isaiah 40:28-31, so eloquently reminds us that our God does not grow weary and also gives strength to those of us that do! “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

He has equipped us to overcome our struggles when we are tired, we just have to go through the One that does not slumber or sleep! I for one am glad that there is someone I can depend on to watch over me when I finally do get to lay my head on the pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment