Thursday, March 20, 2014

Are You Tired of Doing the Right Thing?



Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.  Galatians 6:9-10 NIV


Do you ever feel like the good you do doesn’t matter?  You keep trying to do the right thing and nothing seems to be happening in your circumstances, in the life of your loved ones, or even in your relationship with God.  There have been plenty of times in my life that I have been weary in doing good.  I have felt like as the saying goes that I “take two steps forward and three steps back.”  I get tired of trying sometimes.  Then there are those times that when I’m attempting to say or do the godly thing I end up doing the exact opposite.  I think to myself,” God I am such a poor representative of You to the world.”  


But is giving up really a better option? Give in to the urge to tell that person exactly what you think of them, or let go of your commitments because you are tired, or stop caring so much about other people that have hurt you over and over.  Start abusing drugs or alcohol after you have been clean for years.  Pick up a bad habit again that you had felt free of.  You could fill in the blank with a number of situations that apply to your life.  Yes, you could give into being that ugly, nasty, and mean person that your flesh so easily morphs into.  But if you give into the wrong things and attitudes are you the only one that it affects?  The answer is no.  As much as sometimes we would like to escape, the reality is we don’t live in a vacuum.  Our actions affect those around us.  You may never know that any strength that you demonstrate in your daily life is encouraging someone else around you.  I have to say I have experienced disappointment before as I’ve watched people that I highly respected fail.  And felt disillusioned because if they could fall, then how in the world could someone like me make it?  I’m not encouraging you to put people on lofty pedestals, because God is the only one who will never fail.  But I am saying that if you are a positive example in someone’s life, you are an encouragement that helps them along their journey.  And for some people you may be the only good thing they have surrounding them.  


God’s word says that if you continue to do good that at the proper time you will see a harvest but the key is to not give up.  Only God knows when that harvest will come about.  But take heart and know that everyone gets discouraged at times but you don’t have to let that stop you.  Keep pressing forward and do what pleases God.  He is rooting for you to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment